91% of these usually use marketplace platforms as a purchasing channel and only to a lesser extent than 40% the site of a physical store or a brand. The attraction factors for consumers towards the marketplaces are mainly the accuracy of the indication of shipping times and the certainty of buying through a well-known brand. But also the low cost or free shipping costs and returns are points in favor of marketplaces. The platforms preferred by consumers are Amazon, which with 95% far exceeds all competitors, eBay (41.6%) and Zalando (39.0%). The preference is instead oriented towards the ecommerce of a store if there are aspects such as free shipping and returns (65.3 and 60.1%), greater simplicity of the returns procedure and indication of the delivery day (50.5%). Logistical bottlenecks are once again the Achilles' heel of digital commerce. This is what emerges from the research "Business needs and policies", which offers an overview of the needs of Italian businesses and consumers in terms of services and logistics in the world of e-commerce.
What does the research say?
The research intercepts two different targets: on the one hand, it examines Italian companies in the fashion, home and furniture, consumer electronics, health and beauty, sport and leisure, children's games and food sectors, with the aim of detecting ecommerce policies, on the other hand, through a consumer survey, analyzes the behavior of users in relation to online purchases.
Over 80,000 companies use e-commerce as a sales channel. But if 53.6% of companies use their site to sell online, only 46.4% of the total are present on marketplaces and, of companies that do not currently use marketplace platforms, only 9.1% plan to do so in the future. 20.5% of companies present on marketplaces have chosen them as the only online sales channel, while 25.9% prefer a combination of marketplace and proprietary website. Amazon (62.9%), eBay (38.4%) and Zalando (8.5%) are the preferred platforms for businesses.
What are the benefits of Marketplaces?
Businesses can benefit from using marketplaces for several reasons:
- Greater visibility: Marketplaces are often frequented by a large number of buyers interested in a wide range of products. By using a marketplace, businesses can reach a wider audience than their own website or traditional sales channels.
- Access to new customers: Marketplaces offer companies the opportunity to reach new customers who may not be aware of the existence of the brand or who may not have directly searched for the company's products. This allows you to expand your customer base and increase your sales.
- Ready sales infrastructure: Marketplaces provide companies with a sales platform that is already structured and functioning. Businesses don't have to worry about setting up and running their own e-commerce site or managing the payment process, logistics and delivery of orders. This can be particularly beneficial for small and medium-sized businesses that may not have the resources to develop a comprehensive sales platform.
- Credibility and customer trust: Established and reputable marketplaces enjoy a certain credibility among consumers. Businesses selling on these marketplaces can benefit from this positive reputation, which can help build customer trust and encourage purchases.
- More marketing opportunities: Marketplaces often offer advertisers different marketing options to promote their products. This can include paid advertising, special promotions or other forms of exposure that can help generate traffic and increase sales.
- Feedback and reviews: Marketplaces provide a feedback and review system that allows customers to rate and comment on the products they purchase. This can be a boon for businesses, as positive reviews can increase the trust of potential customers and influence purchasing decisions.
In general, using marketplaces can offer businesses a number of benefits, including increased visibility, access to new customers, ready-made sales infrastructure, and the credibility of the marketplace itself. However, it is important to carefully consider the costs and benefits associated with a particular marketplace before making a decision.
E-Business Consulting is a marketing agency active since 2003 specialized in guiding companies in valuable eCommerce projects in Italy. Would you like to know more? Don't hesitate to contact us for a free consultation.