In recent times, we hear more and more often about Contextual Marketing, a marketing approach that is based on the choice and presentation of relevant content to a specific consumer, based on the interactions with the brand (contextual targeting).
In other words, more simply, it is the technique of placing advertisements next to content that the user can consider relevant.
Although contextual targeting has already existed for a couple of decades, in the last period it has begun to take on increasing importance in the context of advertising, especially online.
This is because contextual targeting is proposing itself as a solution for advertising in the post-cookie digital world and offers a series of advantages that those involved in online marketing should not miss.
First of all, there is still no precise and unambiguous definition of Contextual Marketing, but it can be seen as the technique for which a company reappears on the user's screen at the same time as another, unrelated research that he is carrying out.
Contextual Marketing therefore serves to "reach a certain target as much as it is at a certain time, place and mood".
It is good to remember that Contextual Marketing should not be confused with Native Advertising, a form of contextual advertising in which the message is dropped into editorial content and proposed with a journalistic slant and with a graphic style in line with that of the medium that hosts it. The Native, that is, goes to amalgamate with the proposed content, making it difficult to discern fact from opinion. While, as far as Contextual Marketing is concerned, the branded product is distinct and reveals itself as sponsored content.
There are several reasons why Contextual Targeting today enjoys renewed popularity:
- Guarantees "brand safety", that is, ensures that the ad does not appear on sites of dubious nature;
- Ensures the display of ads only next to the context relevant to their offer;
- Does not rely on third party cookies: more and more browsers, including Google Chrome, will become Cookieless by 2022; therefore orienting oneself on Contextual Marketing strategies represents an immediate and safe solution;
- Offers an excellent customer experience: contextual targeting has been shown to generate better behavioral targeting performance and helps advertisers understand the interests of their audiences;
- Use artificial intelligence: the identification of relevant content is no longer limited to just matching keywords. Thanks to machine learning, it is possible to have a deeper knowledge of the context and sentiment of each page, as well as of the images and videos present.
Today, users expect offers modeled on their personal needs, and the trends for the creation of campaigns and offers increasingly targeted to the target audience are constantly growing, also thanks to new technologies for a more precise profiling of users and consumers. of the different brands.
Contextual Marketing, therefore, allows you to show users specific messages at the right time.
With contextual targeting it is possible to integrate simpler data, such as personal data, customer purchase history, information from analytics systems on your channels, surveys and online campaigns.
To discover all the news and the advantages that can be obtained from technological innovations for your business, you can contact E-Business Consulting, a digital marketing agency active since 2003 and integrated into the Social Media world.